posted 12-11-2000 07:30 PM
The odds are stacked against this film doing well..
* Virtually unknown Director (John Harrison) credied for writing this film and Dinosaur (Disney) who, aside from Dinosaur writing credit, has had only small films up to now
* Weak cast ensemble led by William Hurt - Hurt has potential, but he leads a pack of theatrical wimps
* The title is ridiculous - what does 2000 have anything to do with anything?
* Claims to be a more thorough adaptation of the novel - I swear if it gets any more thorough than David Lynch's 1984 version of Dune, I just might slip into a coma by the end of the film - Lynch's drones on long enough as it is.
* Lynch's film has to be one of the most ellaborately produced films ever - gorgeous sets, thoughtful and ornate costumes, seamless special effects - if Harrison thinks he is going to do better with a bunch of flashy CGI scenery, he's got another thing coming.
Ultimately I think die-hard fans will not accept Harrison's remake as anything other than a futile effort to be a big-shot. There's plenty of original screen material out there - I'd suggest going with something new and different from here on out - but then again, the proof is at the box-office...